Pages

Sunday, March 10, 2013

I Almost Fell TWICE!

Last weekend I went up into the attic to get some items. I came back down the stairs very carefully, taking one step at a time. I learned from my Physical Therapist that I first need to go UP with my good leg but DOWN with my bad. My broken but then operatued left leg would be my "bad" leg, even though my PT said it was "good" now!

 When I got to the next to the last step I went DOWN with my left leg but my foot SLIPPED off of the step and down onto the last step! The steps are made of wood, non carpeted. Remember, I live in Africa. I do not have carpet on my floors except a very large carpet piece in the living room. My stairs to the attic also do not have a railing and towards the bottom, there is nothing to grab onto. Although I came down hard on my left foot, it did not hurt my leg. I am very thankful that I did NOT then fall off of the last step an onto the floor! Praise the Lord!

Now for my second ALMOST fall. That was yesterday! I was making chili and beans to serve to company I was to have today. I  did not have enough tomatoes to put into my chili so I went to the local African store. It is a little "hole in the wall" sort of place. Does not have much in it. I went inside, found my tomatoes but wanted to look in the back of the store. I rarely go into this small store so I did not know that there was a fairly large step down to get to the back right of the store. There was very little light back there and so as I walked to the back I could not see the step that was there. Suddenly my right foot went 7-8 inches DOWN the step! This caused my left knee to BEND more than it has been bending for quite some time. I then lunged awkwardly towards a food stand, bumped my breast bone on it and then veered off toward the left where I was thrown onto a chest type freezer! I did not FALL down on the ground for which I was very thankful. I did cry out several times, right in front of the six or seven men who were chatting at the front of the store! I did recommend to the storekeeper that he put a light in the back area so the step would be visible.

I came home, finished up my chili and then sat for awhile after having taken some Ibuprofen. My right ankle was slightly twisted but it is fine today. My left knee ached a bit but was fine. Praise the Lord AGAIN that I did NOT fall down on the floor! There is no way that I would have been able to get up off the floor without help.


I walk so cautiously so I do not fall, like a snail or a tortoise. I usually do not take a step without looking where I plant my feet. In the past I exercised with Nordic Walking poles. I have decided though that it is too difficult for me to watch where I am planting my feet at the same time as I am using the poles. I plan to give my poles away.

The REST of Today's Positives:
1-3 found on my first blog of the day entitled "PhotoTour of the Hospital".
4. Both times that I slipped, I did NOT FALL to the Ground!
5. I did not hurt my KNEE when I slipped in that store yesterday.

Praise the Lord for his Protection! 



1 comment:

  1. Carolyn, Can you hire someone to put up a railing by your stairs in the attic? with my bifocals, I NEVER do stairs without a railing....Louise

    ReplyDelete