Pages

Saturday, February 14, 2015

Carolyn's Capers- Valentine's Day

February 14, 2015

Dear Family and Friends,
What am I doing for Valentine's Day? Well, nothing. But last night I met three women from church at Applebee's for dinner and then we went to the Omaha Community Playhouse for an excellent Musical of "Little Women". It was billed as "the ultimate LOVE musical"! What a fun night out.

Success! After many trips to many Goodwills, I found two gently used bookcases to complete my living room furniture. My next project, finding a gently used bedroom dresser that will somewhat match my bed and bedside stand! I enjoy checking out the thrift shops!

My learning curve is high as I try to figure out about Social Security and Medicare. I will officially retire from the Alliance on June 30. At that time I must have  health insurance along with Medicare and also must decide when to go on Social Security as my 66th birthday will not be until August. I have seen a Retirement Insurance Adviser and plan to go to a S.S. lecture. More decisions.

Here is a photo of me taken at my Bongolo Hospital Farewell dinner. I'm holding one of the 15 children of Doctors who live on the Bongolo station. Pray for these children, that they come to know Jesus, that they play together well, that they stay healthy.




The first two prayer requests from Gabon came from Barry and Terry Newman. The rest of the requests come from me.

1) Pray for the village churches as they are small, struggling fellowships, often without a trained “shepherd” to help them grow in their spiritual lives.
2) Pray for God’s ongoing work in and through the hospital…that the staff would be renewed in their Christian walk, and that through them the Gospel would be powerfully communicated…in word and deed.
3) Pray for the Bongolo Nursing Students who will take Comprehensive Exams February 16-20. Pray that all students pass all exams.
4) Pray for Terry Newman, Wendy Bastin and Sandra Freeman as they prepare for the Nursing School Graduation ceremony for March 1st.
5) Pray that for the 14 new Nurses who graduate on March 1st, that the Lord would guide them as to their future.
6) Pray for the wisdom for the Bongolo Hospital to know how many and which new graduate nurses to hire.

February 27 I am scheduled to fly to New England where I will speak at Mission's Conferences in eight churches during a four week period. These will be in Vermont, Massachusetts and Connecticut. The dates and places of these conferences are as follows:
·
         Feb 28-March 4 Bennington, VT
·
         March 4-8 Brattleboro, VT
·
         March 8-11 Amherst, MA
·
         March 11-15 Manchester, CT
·
         March 15-18 Southbury, CT
·
         March 18-22 Stratford, CT
·
         March 22-25 Milford, CT
·
         March 25-29 Madison, CT
My flight back to Omaha is scheduled for March 30th. Please pray for me as I prepare for and speak at the above conferences.
Pray for the WEATHER in these areas, that conference meetings do not have to be canceled because of SNOW. Pray for safe travels, that I keep warm and that I not FALL on the icy, snowy paths. I have been warned by an orthopedic surgeon to "NEVER FALL".

Other  scheduled dates are as follows:
April 21- Christ Community Church (Omaha)- Super Adults
April 27- Christ Community Church (Omaha)- Alliance Women
May 10- Maple Plain Community Church (Maple Plain, MN)- Adult SS class
May 17- Hope Community Church (Cottage Grove, MN)- Sunday morning
May 24-31  Alliance Council (Long Beach, CA)- attending, including Retirement luncheon
June 7-14 Christ Community Church (Omaha) Global Mission's Conference

Thank you for your prayers and your continued support of the Great Commission Fund (https://secure.cmalliance.org/give/). That is the fund that continues to support me.

Have a HAPPY VALENTINE'S DAY!!

Carolyn Thorson
Soon to be Alliance Retiree!

No comments:

Post a Comment