Pages

Saturday, December 12, 2009

Fire Trucks in Accra!

I wrote this blog entry on another site but wanted to share it here too:

Where is Accra? It is in Ghana, Africa. What was I doing in Accra? Well, here is my story...

I flew out of Omaha on Tuesday, in the beginning of their snow storm that dumped ten inches of snow on the city. We were late flying out so I missed my flight in Chicago (two flights in fact) and finally got to NYC about midnight. Of course I had missed my flight to Casablanca so I found a hotel room for the rest of that night. The next day my travel agent was able to get me on a flight going to Frankfort Germany and then down to Libreville, Gabon which is the city I had been aiming at all the time. My flight to Frankfort was uneventful. The flight out of Frankfort was delayed a bit but not too bad. We had a normal landing in Accra Ghana to let out most of the passengers and then the plane planned to take the rest of us, about twenty passengers, on to Libreville.

Before landing or maybe on landing the pilots noticed the smoke detector went off in one of the baggage holds so they activated the FOAM covering. Three fire trucks met us on the runway! We all had to get off of the plane while the firemen checked out the baggage area and all of our baggage was put into another hold. There was no fire found so we were able to get back on the plane and take off again. I don't know exactly where to foam was because my suitcases didn't look like they had been sprayed. Oh, all those of us from Economy class were bumped to Business class for the rest of the flight!

I got into Libreville just before midnight and to the Guest House before midnight. I did a little online and then went to bed and slept well, not long enough but well. Today I will take my last fight which will get me two hours from Bongolo Hospital. The hospital chauffeur will pick me up. I think he will be driving my own car as it needs a safety inspection!

Today's Positives:
1. The travel agent was able to get my tickets changed and get me to Africa!
2. There was no fire on the plane.
3. The Police process to get into the country only took about twenty minutes.
4. I was able to sleep in a bed last night, instead of sitting in a chair!
5. My last flight is today and I should be HOME!
6. So many friends have prayed for me during this 36 hour trip!
7. God is so good!

Update: I had a great flight to the provincial capital and then a two hour ride to my home at Bongolo Hospital. It's great to be home. Home Sweet Home! Thanks to everyone who  prayed for me during this trip which lasted from Tuesday morning through Friday.

No comments:

Post a Comment