Pages

Saturday, February 21, 2009

White Bread !

I have lived in Africa since 1977. When I first got here I had to learn to make bread. I had many flops, so many that I finally hired an African cook to come to my house once a week to make the bread that I needed for the week. He told me that he would teach me to make bread, that he did not need to keep coming. I got his recipe and got so I could make bread. I did not have whole wheat flour those years.

Next came the bread machine. I have used one off and on over the years but with little success. My bread from the machine is heavy and does not rise. I am able to make healthy bread though as I use whole wheat flower and sometimes add Bulgar. I just does not turn out well.

A few years ago our little town got a bakery. You can see above the bread that it puts out. The long French loaves can be purchased every day but those "fat" loaves have to be special ordered. Each Monday we make our "fat bread" order and it arrives hot on Tuesday. But it is oh so yummy. I have a problem limiting the bread I eat on Tuesdays because of it having just come from the oven! The other problem of course is that it is WHITE BREAD.

I have found a recipe for Hot Dog and Hamburger buns that I can make easily from scratch. When I make them I add whole wheat flour and usually make a double batch. Sometimes I use this dough to make Pizza.

I know that Wheat bread is better for me than White bread but it sure takes time to make it from scratch. White bread is what I usually eat because that is what the bakery makes!

Do you make your own bread? Do you eat white, whole what or multi-grain bread? Do you use a bread maker? Do you make your own pizza crust?

No comments:

Post a Comment