Pages

Saturday, January 10, 2009

Traveling Tales!

Yesterday I made a 10 1/2 hour trip to and from the airport in order to pick up visitors who were coming to do construction at the Bongolo hospital. Traveling in Africa is not always easy. The bridge to the left is an example of how some of the bridges are built. Logs are put across the stream and then running boards are attached to the logs. This bridge (not one that I crossed yesterday) seems to be collapsing. Fortunately, it has been fixed.

The alternative to building bridges is the use of the ferry. For the first 17 or so years of my life in Africa (I've lived here over 30 years) I had to cross a ferry each time I wanted to go from my side of town to the side of town that had the grocery stores and post office! Fortunately there now is a nice, well built, steel bridge that crosses "our" river. I am so thankful for the bridge over the Louetsi River (see below)!


No comments:

Post a Comment